Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Big Doings Afoot

The company is nearing the launch of a new publication -- for copyright reasons, believe it or not, I can't give out the name yet -- and has seen fit to hire a new guy to sit and browse the Interweb looking for leads all day. I decided to extend the hand of friendship to this gentleman, and after work we headed to the neighborhood's most popular and only tapas bar, where we shared a few laughs and a kind of small pitcher of sangria. He used to live in Italy, and that's what we know at this point.

In other news, I am headed to Denver for a conference in a few weeks. The company has opened its heart and its checkbook and I hear I'm staying at the nicest Motel 6 in the metro area. It could be fun, potentially, except I suspect I will be asked to go back to my room after the workshops each day and file dizzying reams of copy rather than enjoy whatever nightlife the Mile High City has to offer these days. Maybe a Rocky Mountain oyster bar. I wouldn't go to one of those. That's disgusting.

In still other news, I am headed for a fateful showdown on the racquetball court Tuesday evening against one of the editors. I could easily settle his hash, of course, but do I want my career to move forward? I have considered eating a heavy lunch to slow myself down a bit, but that never seems to work: whatever I consume just turns into liquid mojo, which keeps me going at a fantastic pace until I inevitably pass out around 2 a.m. This does not bode well for him or for my career, but it ought to be fun to see him try to handle my serve. I call it The Confuser.

After my cruel joke of a New Year's Eve, I haven't had any further brushes with crime or its element. This makes me think I am due for trouble, and it was therefore disheartening to hear, from a good friend back at ASU, that my old Hwa Rang Do school has shut its doors. Now I cannot re-learn to defend myself in proper fashion, and neither can the others. They have probably gone under a bridge somewhere to wait for death.

For the curious, I did not watch the Oscars. I'm sure George Clooney oozed charm, but I simply do not give a tinker's damn who wins those awards.

A second and final plug: http://www.accuradio.com really gives you the best time of your life, especially when you're wondering what else to do while you're killing a few minutes on the Wide Wonder Web. That's what www stands for. I read it on the Wide Wonder Web.

1 Comments:

Blogger charvakan said...

If your racquetball skills bear the same relationship to your boasts about them as your beer pong skills do, I think your editor will not have to worry about being embarrassed, and you won't have to worry about retaliation. Racquetball is a great game. It's easier to hit the ball than it is at tennis, there's more exercise, and you never have to chase the ball that goes over the fence or three courts down. I played fairly regularly for a few years more than two decades ago, but I went through too many rackets, due to my slamming them against the wall or the floor in frustration at poor shots. I also kept pinching a nerve in my back. But it was good exercise.

Your new publication is going to be called "Cheney Alert" and will attempt to forecast the Veep's whereabouts and activities so people can take the appropriate precautions. It will be very successful.

They are stingy with the sangria at that restaurant.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home