Thursday, April 06, 2006

Orhan Speaks While Others Listen

From the rather hefty file marked "Writers I think I like, even though I haven't read any of their stuff yet" comes this interview with Orhan Pamuk. Other writers exist in Turkey, mind you, but he's become the de facto representative, and from what little I know of him it's deserved. You may have heard of his recent cause celebre trial in Turkey for violating the local anti-speech laws and "insulting" the country. (Lovers of freedom and pseudointellectual gadflies joined together to squash the proceedings, so don't you worry.) Well, I owned My Name is Red before that and only bought Snow afterwards because the timing wouldn't allow for anything else. And now that I've finished the highly recommended Hatchet Jobs by Dale Peck, I mean to get to them.

Incidentally, look for some extended Peck commentary in an upcoming post. It's something I've been meaning to get to for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home