Saturday, December 16, 2006

When The Hammer Falls, It Falls Hard

You'll remember, won't you, way back near the beginning of this bloggysey (I just made that up!) that I warned against the prospect of getting a Dooce dropped on me. If you're really suffering too much from postmodern ennui to follow the link, the term refers to getting fired for whatever it is you wrote on your blog. If you don't get why, look it up -- I don't normally send people on pop culture wild goose chases, so you know when I say it's okay, you can trust it's for real.

Anyway, the point is that while my career is perfectly safe, someone at the company got the proverbial Doocing last week. I won't go into the details for reasons too tangled and richly, ironically obvious to explore. Suffice to say this person had the gall to question management decisions in rather saucy terms -- without naming names or company affiliations, but clearly with enough cheek to launch the ship of an internal investigation that finally pulled into port around the time I ran into him at a bar on Tuesday with some friends, drinking and smoking and smoking and cursing and not shaving. After several years at the company, he had been unceremoniously shown the door. I tell this story only as an illustration that these things really happen.

He got a new, better-paying job already.

2 Comments:

Blogger charvakan said...

I tried to warn Sean about this. Some people are just too honest and open for their own good. (Not like us.)

12:11 PM  
Blogger Lapp said...

No, I hide my identity and true feelings about people in equal measure around these parts. When I make the occasional slip, it means my facade is cracking. Given that you could out me to the Feeb at any moment, I've never really trusted you, for instance.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home